Qualified applicants should submit the following items:
1. Application form online, www.cerner.com/firsthand/filedownload.asp?LibraryID=497
2. Letter from doctor on letterhead explaining the child’s diagnosis, history of illness, specific request for funding and other relevant information.
3. Letter from provider on letterhead showing the original cost and estimated discount (discount must be given in order for First Hand to assist).
4. First page of federal income tax return.
5. Letter of denial from insurance company
6. Child’s photograph and photo release form, www.cerner.com/firsthand/filedownload.asp?LibraryID=812
7. Once these items are submitted, the case manager will review the application. First Hand may request additional documentation.
All documentation should be submitted before the last Wednesday of the month in order for the application to be reviewed by the Clinical Decision Committee. The Clinical Decision Committee consists of Cerner associates who meet on the first Wednesday of the month. After the committee has reviewed the submitted materials from each case, a decision will be made. The case manager will follow up with the applicant within a week of the meeting. If approved, funding will be sent to the provider within two weeks.
Please note: The recipient must use the funding within 12 months of the date granted or must reapply to First Hand.
Applicants can apply one time in a 12-month period and no more than three times to the Foundation.